Friday, December 28, 2012

Get it? Got it? Done

One thing that always lights me up is when I see someone "get it".  You know, the moment when someone realizes a significant truth or reality that they couldn't or didn't want to before.  That is such a powerful moment filled with the best shit on earth... HOPE!  The kicker with most of these moment's is that they are just that, a fleeting moment. One that comes and goes with the next thing to distract from the newly found truth that probably equates to some hard ass work to fix.  Gosh, I hate that reality, frustrates the piss out of me.

Last week I got to see someone right in the throws of "getting it".  She told a story about some leadership training and how it's been far more than what she expected.  The tone in her voice reflected the difference.  She told me how "feedback" has a whole new meaning to her because of how it was presented, funny huh?  Some information she's been hearing for her entire career, finally was recieved because of how it was given.  CRAY.  She said that the feedback which came from her boss, peers and direct reports was presented to her with a bow on it, literally.  The facilitator prepped the group by saying true feedback is a gift if you accept it and let it in.  Hot damn, sign me up for some of that!  This person, normally a pillar of professionalizm because "there's no crying in retail", showed me emotion for the first time and it was magic.

She simply admitted that she "got it" and wants to change... not many words spoken will ever rival the courage it takes to say something like that.  God help me be so courageous.  God help me be an example of living with a strong core AND open to grow and learn and improve.  God help me to "get it" more and then have the strength to "get it done".

No comments:

Post a Comment