Sunday, December 16, 2012

Mi-Ti, my guy...

Yesterday I went to my sons basketball game. He just started playing this year and loves it. You'd think kindergarten basketball has to be brutal, but actually they make it really fun. The kids can't steal the ball from anyone who is dribbling. There is no such thing as a double dribble or traveling. However, the ref will blow his whistle to pause the game and explain the rules and then gives them a chance to try it again.

It has been unbelievable to watch the kids learn the game with bumpers (if you will). I think the key is flow. The ref tries to get the kids to understand the rules without completely derailing progress. It made me think about the "referee" rolls I play in life and how this strategy probably has its place.

But the real purpose of this post was to acknowledge that yesterday my son scored his first basket ever. In fact it's his first point contribution to any sport he's played. The play was legit too. He got an inbound pass right by the basket, turned and faced the rim, swoosh - all net! I got a smile and a thumbs up, he got a fist pump.

Thank goodness for Mi-Ti. He's everything I've ever wanted and dreamed of in a son. He's happy, hungry to learn, loves to play, and has an unwavering determination to figure stuff out. I have a feeling he might just be greater than I know so God help me bring more flow to how I parent him: give him chances and opportunities to retry and learn as he (not me) goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment