Friday, December 14, 2012

7 1/2...

So I just hung out with my 7 1/2 year old daughter before bed. That can be some of my favorite times with the kids. Tonight, Lily was in rare form.

Somehow we got on the topic of "things she used to be afraid of but no longer is"... Public toilets, being in the car not in her car seat, eye drops, cleaning her ears, cutting her nails to name a few of my favorites. Then I switched it up to writing down the things she loves... Buggy, Happy, purps, mini, ginny, flank steak, JANIE, family, God, Santa. She began telling me about a rumor going around that parents are Santa and they actually eat cookies and drink the milk. I asked what she believed and she said she believes in Santa but the rumor could be kind of true. I told her I believe that Santa is the spirit of giving and part of his magic lives in all of us. She really liked that and quickly moved on.

Since we were sharing our beliefs, she told me the one thing she believed more than anything, "all people, thieves and vandals, have goodness in their hearts." She explained how it might be really small and really deep inside, but EVERYONE has a little good. Did I mention she is 7 1/2? She then explained how conversely, people like her who are sweet, kind and thoughtful need a little sass too otherwise you might be a bystander and not an upstander.

God help me to pause more and spend time being present with my kids. Listen, learn, laugh and love. Practice being an upstander like my daughter, see the good in others like my daughter, believe like my daughter. Did I mention she's 7 1/12? God help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment