Saturday, December 22, 2012

A vacuum and some boogie...

My Christmas started this morning with a quick little exchange of a few gifts before we headed to Chicago. Each kid got a little something and Julie thought that would be that knowing I am notoriously bad at buying gifts. I stood up and said, "kids come with me" to Julie's dismay. As we headed down stairs Lily looked up at me and said,
Dad, did you actually get mom something?...
Yep...
Yeah Daddy, good job! What did you get her?...
A vacuum...
Wha? A vacuum? Dad, that's for cleaning. Mom likes things that sparkle like jewelry...
{I paused for a second, totally second guessing myself but replied confidently}
No, it's a REALLY special one, she'll love it!

Sure enough she squealed with joy (probably because the date on the gift recent was a good 2 weeks ago and I actually got her something, albeit a vacuum - I love my wife). I pulled another gift (Apple TV) from behind my back to complete my 1-2 punch.

We took our time getting ready, loaded up the car and hit the road around noon. If I told you I used to dread these trips to Chicago I'd be understating my feelings. However, they've actually become really fun family time. Over the years we've learned OUR way. The kids like their shoes off, something soft to snuggle with, water bottles, books, and something under their seat so there feet don't just hang (sans Stella, she props her feet up on the back of my chair). They truly love the time, to them it's a magical adventure and to me it became that too.

As I'm laying here on my MIL's couch, I can't help but think how lucky in am things have changed, I have changed. Our time here isn't always good, probably hardly ever, but to my kids it's a magical adventure. I think I'll live there, in that thought, why not? I'm learning from them that what attitude I bring to the Chicago table matters. Miles summed it up best, "Dad, I love staying at Oma's. It's like a party!" With that, lets boogie...

No comments:

Post a Comment