Thursday, December 13, 2012

Damn life...

So I asked a relatively new hire to tell me about how he came to work with us because this guy is something special and I needed to know more. Sure enough, the story was as special as him.

While still at his old job, a company had tried to lure him away by basically creating a position for him. The timing wasn't right, it was in Chicago and all in all he was happy, so no need to change. Fast forward a year or so later and being contacted once again, but this time he's unemployed. They reminded him that this position was literally created for him. Threw everything and the kitchen sink at him: title, money, dream job. One big problem, his dream job was not aligned with his dream life.

Obviously relocating is a seriously big deal, but then again so is being handed your dream job on a silver platter. What would I do? I hope this... After lots of conversations with his wife, it came down to the night before he had to let them know. He said the discussions were different than before, a lot less passionate, more serious, thoughtful and "real", the good shit.

It's obvious what the decision was but what seared me was his 'why', something even his wife was surprised by. Remember, he said that night they were really talking, not yelling, not overly passionate, they were going deep, major gut check time. His wife described how their future might play out with her parents who were getting older. Because of this, the decision was clear, his dream job was going to compromise his dream life.

The next day she had come to support him and agreed to "make it work", however he let her know he had already decided to not take the job. When he was telling me this story, my mouth was wide open in shock and silent in awe (rare, I know). He said that after he called them to decline the position, he got emotional - his dream job vs. dream life. Damn life, a person of that character deserves both.

Still in awe, he smiled at me and suggested he was glad it all worked out the way it did. Not sure how that can be true but I've got no reason to doubt. I do have reason to take this opportunity to learn about what it takes, how hard it can be, to live your dream life. And I do have responsibility to not take his choice for granted and be as committed as he is, and several others in our division, to making the hard and right choices.

People like these are what keep me going, God help me to have this courage and strength when facing such a big decision. God help me to be aware and awake so that I give back as much to others as they have given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment