Friday, February 1, 2013

5 Things I Learned in Flo-Rida

I learned some really good stuff this past week during my trip to Florida for work.

1) I have to continue to lean against my tendency to not want to participate in the social side of work. There is so much value in having fun with people outside of the day to day. It builds a shared positive memory that connects you to something personal. It levels the playing field of who's who and what you do down to who you are and more importantly why you are.

2) Being given the mic is a serious responsibility and opportunity not to be taken lightly. I've gotten less nervous and more comfortable over the years through lots of practice being in these situations. Anytime you have a captive audience, even if only for a short moment in time, their time is a gift they are giving you, be purposeful with it.

3) I stink at beach Olympics. When it comes to sports, I've typically been a leader as a player, so when I find myself on a team of any kind, that side of me kicks in. However when it comes to work, my tendency as a leader is to try and optimize things which in the wrong situations, and without checks and balances, turns into over-thinking. I'm pretty sure I singlehandedly sabotaged a couple of events by coming up with outlandish ways to try and complete the challenge instead of just doing the task at hand. It would be equivalent to doing the 100 yard hurdle relay and I recommend that we dive head first over the hurdles and roll through the fall to keep momentum going. My brain desperately wants to find a better way and that has to be something I'm more aware and in control of because it can take something very easy and complicate it to the point of ridiculousness.

4) A lone nut can start a movement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO8MwBZl-Vc

5) It's the COuRagE it takes to "dance" like no one is watching that people connect with. Being good at it is definitely not required.

No comments:

Post a Comment