Sunday, February 3, 2013

Crazy train leaving the station

I'm involved in a crazy movement with some crazy people and its one of the most exhilarating projects I've been on in a long time. Last week a lease was signed. This lease represents so much... stability, belief, support and most importantly opportunity.

We've been doing our eComm thing for over a decade. We've gone from a few to a lot and now we are trying to become ONE. One group of distinct individuals who are deeply connected to the same goal: servicing customers with passion and purpose. That's it, but that's a lot when the one group is nearing 200 people.

I deeply believe the physical place we work in can be a catalyst for greatness. This belief was seared into me after I took at trip to Grand Rapids where some furniture people showed me the way. They opened my eyes to a concept that was unfamiliar prior to the trip. Imagine that, at 39 years young, I'm still learning. God I hope that never stops. They turn the cube space concept on its head.

We normally build space for people that gives them everything they "need" in about 150 square feet. By doing that we are encouraging / promoting sedentaryism. This furniture company says give up a little of the "me" space for more "we" space, right up my alley. Regardless of what job you do, people all work differently. You can't possibly be all things to all people in 150 square feet.

So we are close to unlocking a whole new way with the help of a crazy architect who thinks in ways I dream. We have some crazy furniture people who hold the execution key. We have some crazy senior leaders who have embraced and are committed to change. We have some crazy people who have history with us and are moving the day to day. And we have me and Kevin, two crazy brothers who want to give a gift to everyone that enables their passion and purpose. That's it, but that's a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment