Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bad words...

Lily and I write in a Daily Happiness Journal every night. It's been a really good small little discipline to think about one thing from the day that made us happy. Tonight she wrote, (and I first quote, "Daddy this is going to make you cry.") "I went to dinner with my Dad's Mommy and Daddy." I wrote, "So cool!" (making the two "o's" into the eyes of a smily face.)

She then told me about how some kids at school laugh when the word "class" is spelled because of the word "ass" in it. I was now smiling for real and asked, "what's ass mean?" Lily said "butt" while maintaining a straight face. She expanded stating that any word containing "ass" like grass, mass, sassafras makes the kids giggle.

I asked what other "bad" words she knows... stupid, hate, kill, dumb came out quick. Imagine that, those are what she considers bad. What the fuck happened to me that those words lost their "badness"? How different would our world be if those were in fact words we bleeped out on TV shows? Children (especially mine :-) have an uncanny way of putting things into perspective.

Here's my separate Happiness Journal entry:
Today I'm humbled by the wisdom of my 7 year old. She makes me a better person each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment