Monday, February 18, 2013

Little, Brown, And Proud Of It

Today I asked Lily and Miles to stand back to back. He passed her up, he hit some crazy growth spurt and probably won't look back. Miles celebrated and Lily congratulated. She explained to me how she always knew she'd be small and really likes it. Her words were genuine and honest, they pretty much always are. Here's more validation why I know this for sure...

Friday night she had a "half over" where kids hang out until bed time and then go home. When I picked her up, she showed me a picture her friend had given her but had some perspective to add. She explained that her friends printer was running out of ink and that is why she looks "different". Not really sure what she was talking about, I asked her elaborate. She pointed out how the skin of all 4 girls in the picture looked the same. Fuxinating. I smiled and joked that is what she would look like if she looked like me and she replied, "yuck, I love my brown skin." To which I sincerely and truthfully replied, "yeah, me too."

The sense of self this 7 year old has is baffling. She already knows who she is and isn't. And if that isn't enough, she loves what she knows. I don't know if this is normal for now and eventually she'll end up doubting and loathing like the rest of us, but it sure is inspiring. She helps me be more courageous everyday. It's why one of my core beliefs in life as a parent is to first be a student of your children, then a teacher. Thanks again for showing me the way little child.




No comments:

Post a Comment