Friday, January 25, 2013

Night-time Ninja Battle...

I've recently learned something fuxinatingly wonderful from my son. Two weeks ago, I found a night light that has a green and blue setting. These two colors matter to him because he's really into a show (Ninjago) where his favorite characters are Jay (blue ninja) and Lloyd (green ninja). So I got the idea to put it in his room and let him pick what color ninja he wants to fall asleep to.

The first night he picked green because LLoyd is his favorite and the most powerful ninja. The second night he switched to blue but decided to put his little Lego ninja characters right by the light. So after he went to bed I decided to switch the light to green and knock Jay off the ledge. The next morning, no comment, nothing. The third night he turned the light to green but this time he brought more of the ninja characters to the "party", Cole (black), Kai (red), Zane (white). That night I stood Cole on top of the light, turned it off (black), and spread the other ninjas all over his dresser. The next morning, no comment, nothing.

Some version of this has gone on almost every night and every morning.  I just don't understand why he isn't waking up every morning with bated breath excited to share the news that the Ninja's battled through the night and So-n-so won!  Nothing.  So I've watched/studied him more intently and purposeful these past weeks to try and understand what is going on.

Does he not "believe"?  I think he does because he's made random comments throughout the day like "Lloyd won Dad" and it won't hit me until later that may have referenced the Night-time Ninja Battle.  Does he not care?  I think he does because even last night when Cole pulled the nightlight down and crushed the other ninja's with it, Miles woke up concerned it was completely dark in his room.  When I came in and showed him what had happened he smiled and climbed back into bed requesting Lloyd take over watch.

The answer I've come to is that we are different, just that, nothing more.  I'm more sensitive and often times find myself playing in a world where magic and wonderment are required.  Miles' play usually centers more around building things that are real.  Lego sets, paper airplanes, race cars made of boxes.  He also loves to play games so that he can win - such a competitive little dude.  So, in lieu of this discovery about me and my son being different but the same, I've learned (once again) that is the drill with all of us.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If I can remember and embrace this just a little more than most, I think I'll find some really amazing windows and doors into new ways to see and live my life.

Thanks Mi-Ti...

No comments:

Post a Comment