Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Courage, hope and plows...

So I'm a big fan of shrinks, everyone should get one if you don't already. I was chatting with mine (who I foundly call MF'er because he is always stirring shit up in me) this morning and mentioned my pursuit to learn more about hope. I told him that I just started to read (listen to) "If I get to 5: What children can teach us about courage and character" - a book written by a pediatric neurosurgen and the lessons young children taught him while fighting for their lives AND how these lessons helped him get through a traumatic brain injury in his 60's.

MF'er ANDED me with another report he'd read about adult cancer survivors. They interviewed 1,000 patients to get to know who they are and what they are about. After these evaluations they assigned characteristics to each person and waited for 5 years to asses who survived and what did they have in common.

Stubborness - Hopefull - Ornary... What a fuxinating combination, not what I expected.

To me these words mean:
Stubborness = not willing to compromise, strong willed
Hopefull = open minded and optimistic about potential goodness
Ornary = set in your ways

Put them all together and I heard that the people who beat cancer were strongly convicted in their belief that good 'things' WILL come their way AND they are not willing to believe any else in the face of struggle. How profound is that! It really hit me that I need more of this in my life. I'm not facing cancer but I am facing the reality that I'm not living the life I want to live - both are lethal in their own ways.

So hear me out David - continue on in courage, believe in the good, run after it like nothing else matters, and when you feel like all hope is lost, check yourself, lean on the ones you love and plow on.

No comments:

Post a Comment