Friday, February 4, 2011

Pack Animal

So ever since our last BTL practice with the new 20, I haven't been able to stop thinking about the Anais Nin quote, "We don't see things how they are, we see things how we are." Funny how I've heard the quote before, except this time it stuck a little differently. If we see things how we are then there is great value in trying to learn how others see the same things AND even better, let others tell us how they see things in us - truth in love, but not in the tell someone "they suck", throw on a "truth in love :-)" sense - truth in love BUILT ON TRUST.

I've really been struggling lately to understand why I can't find the motivation and discipline to push myself harder to workout. I want to be healthy, I want to be in shape, I want to look better than I do, but still that's not enough. I've been doing a lot of thinking but also a lot of asking - this is new for me - I've reached out to a few that I really trust, that know me as well as any one can, and don't just tell me what I want to hear, but tell me what they see.

Someone told me today that I'm not a self disciplined person *truth* I'm a social disciplined person *tell me more*. When I'm a part of a "pack", my love for the group brings out a commitment in me that is strong, real and disciplined AND has often times lead to me becoming the pack leader. It just does. Since I'm more wired to be a member of a pack, my discipline will come when I have purpose other than that of my self. I'm just not built like an eagle who hunts alone - it's not enough to motivate me. But surround me with a distinct yet deeply connected pack and you'll see ME there.

Are you asking others what they see?
Are you building trust so that you can really share 'truth in love'?

God help me to do this more...

No comments:

Post a Comment