Sunday, March 24, 2013

Joe Schmo

I'm embarrassed to admit that I recently DVR'ed the Joe Schmo Show.  I have a fascination with watching what people will do when no one is watching.  Another show that is probably more acceptable is "What would you do?" with John Quinones.  Back to Schmo... now the Joe knows he's being recorded but he doesn't know that everyone else involved with the show is in on a secret.  They are all testing and pushing him to see what he's really made of and this Joe was legit.

The producers and actors presented the Joe with scenarios involving temptations around greed, lust, selfishness, testing integrity, facing fear. And every, EVERY time, he was as solid as an oak tree.  Why a tree and not a rock you ask? A rock is lifeless, it just sits there. Where as a tree grows, moves and has life.  The Joe wasn't a robot, he didn't just go through the motions of doing the right thing, he was full of emotions.  He struggled, he laughed {at himself mostly}, he battled, got angry and lastly got overwhelmed.  When they revealed the secret, he wept.  I think it was because in that moment he knew he passed the test. He knew that his core was strong AND real because it was there when he didn't know it was being watched.

I have a perpetual fear / insecurity of being found out as a fraud.  As hard as I try to live my life "right" (whatever that means), I can't stop worrying about a day I'm presented with a test and fail publicly.  Don't get me wrong, I know we all "fail" more than we succeed, but I want to be more comfortable in that.  I want realistic expectations of what "right" means.  And as crazy as this is going to sound, I got a little more clarity from the Joe, Chase Rogan, an every day average Schmo who just so happens to have a strong core worth making a show about... pretty impressive, not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment